Regional Workshop on Conservation and Management of Temurids Architecture was organized in Uzbekistan from 21 April to 2 May 2008. The Workshop was jointly organized by the International Institute for Central Asian Studies (IICAS), there National Commission of Uzbekistan for UNESCO, UNESCO World Heritage Center and Ministry of Culture and Sports of Uzbekistan. Mobile workshop was organized in following cities of Uzbekistan: Tashkent, Samarkand, Shakhrisyabz, Bukhara and Khiva. It is important to outline that last four sites are inscribed into the UNESCO World Heritage List.
About 35 participants from UNESCO World Heritage Centre and following countries participated in the Workshop: Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of Iran, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
The main objectives of the Workshop were the following:
– Study of experience of Uzbekistan in preservation and management of monuments of the Temurids architecture;
– Elaboration of the programs of regional cooperation on preparation of conservation plans, management and development of cultural sites;
– Study of issues of seismic proofing of architectural monuments;
– Analysis of development and management of tourist infrastructure;
– Exchange of experience in community-based management of cultural sites;
– Study of issues on preservation of cultural landscapes and traditional houses in zones of historical monuments;
– Creation of data base in Islamic architecture, and in particularly on Temurids architecture;
– Elaboration of recommendations on content of educational manuals on cultural heritage.
Programme of the Workshop consisted of visits to the cultural sites in selected cities; theoretical round tables and practical meetings with experts on town planning and specialists on conservation, restoration, management and utilization of cultural monuments; visits to the restoration workshops and handicrafts skills development centers.