Scientific Methodological Workshop on Rock Art Serial Nomination in Central Asia, site was held in Samarkand from 2 to 5 March, 2009. Workshop was jointly organized by the International Institute for Central Asian Studies (IICAS) and UNESCO World Heritage Center.
Scientists, archeologists and experts on petrogliphs from Central Asia (Kazakhstan , Kyrgyzstan , Tajikistan , Turkmenistan , Uzbekistan ), Russia , as well as representatives from UNESCO Regional office in Almaty and UNESCO office in Tashkent had taken part in the scientific methodological workshop.
The opening ceremony of the workshop was held in Samarkand State University and welcome address were performed by the director of IICAS, Dr. Shahin Mustafayev, Mayor of Samarkand city Mr. Zoir Mirzayev, rector of Samarkand State University, professor Temur Shirinov, and expert on culture from UNESCO office in Almaty, Mr. Yuriy Peshkov.
Main themes for discussion at the workshop were:
• Spreading of Rock Art in Central Asia (geographical distribution and zoning, typical landscapes and subsistence, number of sites in sub-zones)
• Identification of rock art traditions (typology, date and periodization, archaeological context, geographical borders of distribution of types)
• Modern cultural context (traditional forms of use and worship, interpretation of the rock art)
• Diversity of Central Asian sites (typology of cultural landscapes with rock art)
• Phenomena of Central Asian rock art (definition and preliminary comparative analysis with other regions)
• Thematic, typological and geographical grouping of potential serial transboundary nomination sites
• Criteria of representativeness and preliminarily selection of potential serial nomination sites
• Analysis of level of study of sites and their documentation
• Analysis of current condition of sites (physical conditions, protection, management, conservation, use, main threats), recommendations
• Drafting of the regional action plan for preparation of the nomination (1st cycle)
• Organizational structure and regional coordination of the serial nomination
• Discussion on the major content items and structures of Central Asia Rock Art World Heritage Serial Nomination Concept Paper
• Presentation, discussion and adoption of the final documents
In the conclusion of the workshop all participants expressed their great satisfaction for the organization of the workshop and determined following results:
• Presentation of main results of ICOMOS Thematic Study on Rock Art of Central Asia
• Definition of phenomenon of Central Asian rock art and draft definition of aspects of its OUV
• Preliminary selection of sites of the serial nomination
• Elaboration of structure and coordination mechanism and organization of collaboration on the regional level
• Elaboration of the regional action plan for serial nomination for 2009-2012